Sunday 3 August 2014

Yvan Bourgnon loses his catamaran on rocks in Sri Lanka while attempting to reach the shore during his beach cat circumnavigation attempt

Yvan Bourgnon's catamaran on which he has nearly completely circumnavigated has sadly been lost on the rocks in Sri Lanka.  Yvan has thankfully survived without injury but the boat is a complete write off.  His plan is to head back to France and attempt to raise funding for another catamaran built along the same principle of no accommodation and short LOA to complete his adventure.

Here is a rough translate of the news article:

http://www.en-avant-toute.ch/page/yvan-bourgnon.html

Big problem on arrival in Sri Lanka

"A few miles from the finish, the wind will was finally appeased; so I set the autopilot to sleep a few moments with a heading seaward. I woke up on a surf spot with huge waves crashing on the rocks. I was thrown out of the boat and thought I live my last moments being drawn in by a mishmash of pebbles, pieces of boat and water rollers. I'm out of it unscathed. It's just a miracle!"

This accident does not mark the end of my project. I intend to find a partner and additional funds in the coming weeks to arm a catamaran of existing sport and continue the adventure...

Yvan Bourgnon (August 1, 2014)

I've had a few people email me to see if there is anyway they can help Yvan complete his adventure.  There is a donations page on his website here:

http://www.en-avant-toute.ch/page/j-embarque-avec-yvan.html

photo courtesy the Daily Mirror


No comments:

Post a Comment